Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Brand New Obsession

Decoupage Collage! Like painting and scrapbooking in one! Messy scrapping. I love it. OK, maybe I'm strange but I love peeling the dried polymer off of my fingers afterwards too.

Today I spent the day doing forced fun at work and it turned out to actually be FANTASTIC. We did these collages at the art place. Love it, because ya know crafts are my therapy.

Anyway, the project is really simple and you only need a few supplies: a canvas (the one I used was 8x8), acrylic polymer, paint, and whatever else you want to add. things like concert tickets, newspaper articles, photos, buttons, marbles, old jewelery, ribbon, papers, sheet music, old keys...anything!

First you paint the canvas, then allow it to dry. You can use a hair dryer on low setting to help speed the process. then you put polymer on the back of the items you want to include in your collage and press them onto the canvas. Layer away, and as you place items on your canvas paint more polymer on top of them to help seal them onto the canvas. the polymer will dry clear.
Here's my first attempt at decoupage collage:



I was thinking about buying a bunch of picture frames and covering one wall in our home office with pictures, but now I think I'm going to make a sort of border around the room with these collages.

I found the supplies for really cheap here: http://www.dickblick.com/

No comments: